Monday, March 30, 2009

Kadai Mushrooms


I know I had promised this recipe along with the Tandoori Mushrooms recipe I posted on this blog a while ago...But hey, we're here now!


Once again, Mushrooms is one of those vegetables that you either love, or hate! I think my love for mushrooms stems from the fact that it was never cooked at home - it was one of those dishes I always ate out - it kind of became special to me :)


Some people even consider Mushrooms to be non-vegetarian (it IS a fungus), no offence! And some will call it the 'Vegetarian's Meat'...in any case, I love Mushrooms, and I love this particular dish. Its really simple - so do try it out!


Note:

Some folks like the onions and tomatoes to be small so the dish can be more gravy like - I like my vegetables to be chunky, so feel free to be creative!


Ingredients:


1 Box of regular white mushrooms - I prefer whole, since we want big chunks - cut into fours
1 large green/ red bell pepper - diced large
1 large onion - diced large
2 tomatoes - diced large
2 dry red chilli crushed (or one tbsp red chilli flakes)
1 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds crushed
1 tbsp cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for sauteing (two measures)

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cut mushrooms and fry them up for about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove pan from heat, put mushrooms in a plate.
  3. Add second measure of oil. Add the cumin seeds, the crushed red chilli and crushed coriander seeds.
  4. When crackling, add onions, capsicum and let it brown for a few minutes on high heat.
  5. Add the fried mushrooms, tomatoes and salt.
  6. Cover and cook for just about 5 minutes, or till the tomatoes are soft.
  7. Serve hot with paranthas.
Bon Appetit!


No comments: